I thought I’d start the new year off on this blog by recapping last year:
2012 The GOOD:
- My favorite part of 2012 was having my husband home (NO deployments like 2011!) and seeing his success! He finished his Masters in Biomechanics and started his Orthotics program at Northwestern.
- Fostering dogs with Wishbone Canine Rescue! It has been so rewarding and fun!
- Another year with REV3- especially getting to race a new venue- Wisconsin Dells!
- Coaching! Even though 2011 wasn’t a great year for triathlon for me, I got to live vicariously through a few special athletes
- Dan and I got to visit a new place- Salt Lake City (and Park City), Utah! We LOVE mountains!
- Although this wasn’t on our holiday card, we just got back from a long trip to Phoenix AZ to visit my brother, who moved out there to start his career in the summer. Although it was still CHILLY (40s and 50′s), it was great to be with family, and enjoy some desert scenery and sunshine! .
- Dan and I celebrated our 3rd Wedding anniversary on New Year Eve- and as a gift, my brother gave us a night at the beautiful Montelucia Resort in Paradise Valley/Scottsdale
2012 The Not-So-Good:
- By far the most stressful and saddest parts of 2012 were all of the separations and divorces that close friends and family endured. We took some of them pretty hard- but it was also made us cherish the happiness is our relationship. We realize that in order to keep it that way, we need to communicate and continue to put effort into “us”
- My foot did NOT heal up quickly from my Dec 2011 surgery. I had to take financial hits by withdrawing from races that I registered for in advance (thank goodness this wasn’t the case with REV3- they offer aquabike and relay options!!) and I was bummed that athletic goals I had set for myself did not come to fruition. It’s been a tough year with a lot of ups and downs in this department!
However, I am ready to start 2013 with positive thoughts, hope, and new beginnings! Here’s what I am looking forward to:
- Getting back into triathlon and running, as my foot has been cooperating as of late There are some very COOL new REV3 venues on tap, including Williamsburg, VA (in June), and adventure race in Wyoming (July), and BRANSON MO (September)!
- Another year with REV3!! They have done SO much for the sport, and have so much in store! Their race experience is unmatched! I am so lucky for the comraderie, sponsorship (Pearl Izumi, PowerBar, SBR Sports, and more!), and triathlon movement that I am a part of!
- Being an ambassador for Training Peaks- the exercise scientist in me LOVES looking at objective data and tracking progress- TP has the BEST software and so many resources for both for myself and my athletes
- Success for the athletes that I am guiding- it’s GO time now!
- New adventures and milestones in our careers
- New personal beginnings for our friends and family that had a rough 2012.
Cheers to all of you! Happy New Year!